Join us for our Fall 2017 Science Café!
- What: Four Penn graduate students giving TED-style talks on what makes their research exciting and inspiring (full details below!)
- When: December 2nd, 2017; 2:00pm-4:00pm
- Where: Ben Franklin Room, Houston Hall, 3417 Spruce St., University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
- Parking: Metered street and public lots (link).
Planning on attending? Please RSVP by filling out the form at the link below:
Join us at the 4th Penn Science Café where rock-star graduate students talk about cutting edge research and their passion in science and humanities! Snacks, fruit, and coffee are provided. Talks are 10 minutes long and geared for high school students interested in STEM and social sciences. Following the talks, graduate students will more than happy to answer questions about scientific research, life as graduate student, as well as college preparation. Please RSVP at the link above today!
About our student speakers
- Program: Veterinary Science (VMD)
- Talk Title: One Health: Physicians, Vets and Scientists Joining Forces to Fight Diseases
Delaine Zayas-Bazan Burgos
- Program: Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics (PhD)
- Talk Title: Using Mass Spectrometry to Detect Cancer Biomarkers
- Program: Nanotechnology (Master's)
- Talk Title: What’s It Like to Be Really Small?: A Tale About Electrons in Nano World
- Program: Biology (PhD)
- Talk Title: It’s a Wrap: Unravelling the Story of DNA Compaction
Interested in volunteering with Penn Open Labs?
Do you love to communicate your passion for science? Open Labs is always looking for more student scientists to help inspire the next generation of researchers. There are several ways you can help: joining our email list and attending our events, speaking at our next Science Cafe, or just attending to meet and inspire future scientists. We welcome Penn graduate students from all sciences--hard, soft, and social!
Please fill out the contact form below to get more information and join our mailing list:
- Directors: Elizabeth Hunter & Valentina Dimitrova
- Finance Chair: Kevin Sweeney
- Digital Content Chair: Stephen Phillips
- Web Chair: Alex Miller
More about us
Open Labs is a cross-campus fellowship of graduate and professional students devoted to educating and mentoring young scholars, and encouraging them to pursue careers in the sciences. (More about the umbrella organization here.) We focus on 6-12th grade students, because this is a crucial time in their development of critical thinking and empirical skills that will propel them towards science careers. The Penn chapter of Open Labs is run by graduate student volunteers who are passionate about sharing their enthusiasm of science with future researchers.
Sponsored by the Graduate and Professional Student Assembly (GAPSA) at the University of Pennsylvania